32mm Ancient Coin with Owl of Athena
Ancient coin featuring Owl of Athena perched on an amphora surrounded by a wreath of olive leaves. Reverse side shows head of Athena, goddess of both wisdom and war. Can select a different chain, text or call us.
- Set in 18k yellow gold, hand made in Bali
- 18 inch, 4.3mm heavy oval link solid 14k gold chain
- Can switch out chain... price will adjust... call for details
- 32mm, 15.3gram authenticated coin
- From Athens
- 138-137 BC, AR New Style Tetradrachm
Greek goddess of both Wisdom and War, Athena was closely associated with the city of Athens. The olive tree (her gift to mankind) was sacred to her and in particular those which grew on the Acropolis, the oil from which was given to the victors of the Panathenaia festival. The amphora (jug) that the owl stands on refers to Athens' international oil trade.
According to ancient mythology , Athena at times took the form of an owl. The owl species depicted on the coin is the Athena Noctua, also called the Little Owl or Minerva Owl. They stand about 6-8 inches tall and weigh mere ounces.